06 April 2019

For the Throne



It's that high time when everybody's starting to get excited over the commencement of Game of Thrones' latest season. 

Allow me to dispense a few thoughts on the previous season which was aired last 2 years. Overall, several major events occurred, several significant developments for the characters' storyline and of course the extravagant and excessive use of CGI, were basically on spot but somehow were hurt by an accelerated pace in the whole season. A few times, some of the significant moments were crammed into whether a shorter duration of time or lack of intricate details, that it deprived the moments of its weight and substance. The ideas, the plot and the storytelling were pretty intense but sadly, (in my personal opinion) poorly executed. 

Still, I did applaud some of the scenes or episodes. Lemme list down a few scenes that I believed were awesome.

1. The opening of the season, when the clan of Walter Frey was poisoned by the disguised Arya, was quite satisfying. Arya was avenging the death of her family members, who were murdered during the Red Wedding by Frey's clan.  The Red Wedding was the most heartbreaking, emotional and iconic scene I've ever watched. The whole scene killed a hope for the North, justice, and everything the Starks was trying to fight for. I remember how horrified my face looked when I saw my reflection on the TV.

Leave one wolf alive, and the sheep are never safe. As every men fell to the floor, clutching their throats, with blood foaming in their mouth, I thought that was what betrayal tasted like. It tasted like death.

'The north remembers'

2. The confrontation between two mothers. When Ellaria Sand and her daughter, Tyene were held captive by Euron, Cersei kissed Tyene with the same poison that killed Myrcella, and demanded that Ellaria would remain alive to witness the slow death of her beloved daughter. I thought the scene was pretty emotional, it was a showcase of a mother's love and a mother's revenge. 




3. Jaime granted a mercy death to Olenna, before Olenna Tyrell finally revealed that she was the one who was responsible for Joffrey's death, and Jaime left her to die alone. Even at the brink of her death, she still managed to get in the last word. Savage old lady. I like the song during the end credit. So energetic, I think. 

'I want her to know it was me'

4. Oh, and the reunion between the Starks family, with the exception of Jon Snow. After all these years, they finally were together again. The three of them, formerly six, finally back at home. I cried a little


Right, end of that list.

So to continue, I agreed with the execution of Lord Baelish. He was a major threat to the Stark family and his death was inevitable. But since he was a prominent fixture since the first season, I thought he deserved a more dramatic death. I couldn't help feeling a tad sorry for the lad when he begged for his life to be spared, but he had done more harm than good, that a death was the perfect ending for his conniving miserable life. Still, a slit to the throat was, well, too easy.


I had a bit problem with Jon's storyline.

-How about the time when Jon Snow did a presentation in front of Cersei and Jaime? I thought the presentation was necessary to convince Cersei, but come on, Jon did a presentation like I did my group work presentation in my first year. So awkward.

-Jon's real name was Aegon, but I thought Rhaegar already had a child named Aegon?

-Or when Jon decided to capture a wight, I still think he needed a well-thought plan because his plan cost them a dragon for crying out loud!

-And lastly, the ending part. When Jon and Daenerys were together, I didn't think that was necessary nor a good idea. I couldn't help thinking it's going to cause some severe ramifications in the future, but I knew nothing.




Eh, one more. 

-I really didn't like the scene when Ed Sheeran appeared as one of the "unsubtle'' Lannister soldiers. I don't dislike Ed Sheeran, but his appearance made the whole scene seemed less authentic.

Well, one more season before it ends. Then one less thing to look forward too. I'll write more on Game of Thrones right after the final episode, as soon as I have gotten over the series. It's gonna be an emotional roller coaster for me.